Thursday, March 26, 2009

The wee one is 10 weeks old today! I have two more weekends of maternity leave, and then it's back to work on April 7th... To be honest, I'm getting cold feet! I can't really complain about my schedule-- I work something like: a day on, a day off, a day back on. This will probably kill our social life (ha!) and our ability to go far distances on the weekends, but at least I won't have to be separated from my baby for two days in a row.

My goal is to breastfeed/express breastmilk exclusively for the first six months and nurse in tandem with baby foods for at least the first year. We will see how this first month back at work goes... how I manage, I mean. My goal (I realize I keep talking about goals) is to be superduper organized-- all scrubs ironed and meals shopped for and prepped as much as possible-- one week at a time. This will cut down on time spent doing the chores of living and more time to bathe and snuggle with baby on work days.

Really, I haven't gotten the baby in much of a routine. For instance, he barely napped on Tuesday and slept almost all day yesterday. I feed on demand/cue during the day and am working toward a midnight/1 am feeding and one when we wake up for work around 5 am. Baby and I travelled to Florida two weeks ago, and he's been sleeping in his own crib, in his own room since then. It has helped us both sleep for longer stretches, since I don't hear every sigh and coo. I've spent some energy working on his nursery, which was terribly unfinished when he was born, and we've been spending some of our free time hanging out in his room. I hung a lovely Amish quilt that was given to me by my Aunt Pam on the wall, organized his cupboard, and hung a little shelf of Hummels, the cutest German kiddos you've ever seen. The rocking chair was my great-grandmothers, draped in the yellow Never Ending Baby Blanket that I made for him.






In knitting, plowing away on the second Jaywalker... The gusset shaping is complete, just knitting onward toward the toe shaping. I felted the three moebius baskets last night, using my mom's top loader. Pics to come! Still have not begun any purposeful knitting. Alas, it seems like I won't get a "real" project completed during my maternity leave.
The first picture is baby enjoying himself in Florida... the Garden of Eden...

No comments: