Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The poor man's pantry... that's what we're working with today. Feeling particularly broke, I've drafted a list of six meals that I can prepare this week almost entirely from the cupboard. I'm in need of a half-dozen or so items from the grocery store, so I'm hoping to feed my family this week on a budget of twenty dollars. Simmering on the stove right now is a pot of organic brown rice and green split peas, which will be the base of a soup for tonight. The recipe is from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook by Cathe Olson. I purchased this cookbook online when I was pregnant, and at first, I was disappointed with the simplicity of the recipes. Then I realized that this might be the key to successful vegetarian pregnancy and postpartum... cheap, easy, hearty and healthy meals. I lived on the pumpkin scones with my morning cup of milky black tea for many months of my pregnancy.

Happily, I'm realizing that the pantry includes all of the ingredients needed for another loaf of the Rosewater Pound Cake from Veganomicon!

On the thrifty knitting front, I've completed the three moebius baskets (except for felting.) I'll post the baskets-- they just look like not-very-impressive bags until felting-- in the order that they were knitted.
This morning, I cast-on for a tea mug cozy in warm heathered gray Cascade 220. The pattern is from the Holiday 2007 issue of Interweave Knits.

No comments: