Sunday, August 01, 2010

Getting Up to Speed (January to April 2010)

In January, my baby boy turned one!


I FINALLY finished by sister Lauren's Jaywalker socks, and she FINALLY sent me a picture of them.  My sister Lauren is a bit more style-conscious than I am.... so I was thrilled that she wanted a pair of *my* handknit socks. But you would never know it... since it took me so long to finish them.  I cast on in August and didn't mail them off until January!  Or maybe it was because my little one starting crawling, pulling up, and walking... Lauren thought it was weird to have random sock glamour shots on her digital camera... in my world, that is just the norm. 


In January, I also began knitting a pair of Jaywalkers socks for myself in the most ice-creamy colors I could find.


We also had a reunion of our Charleston Birth Place/Birthing From Within class... It was so great to see the boys together again and to compare notes with other parents.  I hope the boys grow up knowing each other.   Little D. is wearing his Wolverine hoodie in the middle. 


In February, it snowed!

I was with my knitting girlfriends on a little retreat, and Daddy D. brought the wee one out to me so I could see him play in the snow.  (Notice my handknit hat and scarf!)  We dorked out on wool that weekend.  We didn't even finish a bottle of red wine among 4 knitters-- Just stuck to hot tea since no one wanted to drop a stitch. You can read more about it on Knitty Nikki's blog... She's such a better blogger than me!  The snow came at dusk and was gone by late morning the following day-- it was the perfect snowstorm.

February also marked a milestone for my father-in-law.  On his 71st birthday, he was admitted to MUSC to have surgery for esophageal cancer.  He is a former Hokie football player and a diehard Virginia Tech fan.  I knitted him a little VT-inspired cap to keep his head warm and to show his Hokie Pride.



In March, my father-in-law was cancer-free!  Yay!

And I was knitting like crazy on a silvery blue silk Clapotis for my college roommate's wedding day...

In April, I finished the shawl at the last possible minute for Bayly's big day.  She wore it to cut the cake, and it really looked lovely with her dress.  I have to admit that I was nervous about this handknit gift.  Bayly has a very unique style, and she knows what she wants.  I was worried that it wouldn't work with her dress or that she would fee obligated to wear it for my sake.  I think we were both happy with the way it turned out... Unfortunately, I didn't get too many great shots of the Clapotis because of the lighting at the reception.  I will have to see if the photographer got any better pictures. 

No comments: