Tuesday, August 31, 2010

FO: Sarah's Web

At Bayly's wedding in April (after several glasses of wine,) I promised the lovely Sarah a wedding shawl of her own!  After all, it was April... August was so far away.  Plenty of time to plan and to leisurely knit while the little one naps, right?  Well, apparently I love deadline-knitting, knitting under pressure, last minute Lindsey strikes again... etc.  Sarah was a wonderful, flexible, creative bride and let me do absolutely whatever I wanted.  She sent me a sneak preview of the bridesmaid dresses and of her own gown.  Rather than making something to match or 'go with' her wedding dress, which was very romantic and kind of timeless... I thought it would be more fun to have something a little bohemian that would contrast with her dress and hopefully be something she could wear to a future LEAF or under her coat while she's off lawyering in D.C.  I am (again) ashamed of the photos I took. 

The details on the shawl... I chose the Charlotte's Web pattern by Koigu which has been in my Ravelry knitting queue since 2007 and on my to-knit list for much longer... Probably since I saw a sample knitted up at Knit in Charleston.  I put together five skeins of Koigu KPPPM with colors ranging from a peacocky green (the color of the bridesmaid dresses), Sarah's favorite color (a mossy green), yellow (she told me that the lace of her dress was an almost-yellow that was hard to match), browns, and pinks.  While it was on the needles, I thought the green section might look a little too muddled... but when I took it off the needles!  Ah, I was in love.   Here she is, pre-blocked. 

The only post-blocking picture I took...

No comments: