Thursday, October 08, 2009

FO: Hats for the Danas

How bout some actual knitting content?

The pattern: Basic Cable Hat from Stitch 'n Bitch Nation

The yarn: mystery acrylic

The needles: US 7s and 8s for the daddy hat and US7s for the baby hat

The story: Pictured above are the two acrylic hats I knitted for the boys. (Since I can't get living & breathing actual models, you shall see them as pictured on my doorstep.) It's not my style to knit with synthetic yarn, but I did enjoy making these. In 2000, I bought this yarn in Maine when I was a mere twenty years old, dreaming of learning to learn to knit or crochet a hat for my boyfriend. For years, I never learned, but I couldn't bring myself to donate the yarn to Goodwill. When I did learn to knit in 2004 and became a lover of wool, I still never threw out the mystery acrylic. The ballband is long lost. At least it's tweed acrylic, right? Nine years+ later, the boyfriend is the husband and the father. I knitted his hat first, while pregnant with our little boy who was very late in coming. I decided to boycott baby knitting and cranked out a few hats for the family. It only seemed appropriate now to finish up the leftovers into a matching hat for my little guy.

The mods: I knitted the ribbing of both hats using a 2x2 rib, instead of a K1,P1 as specified in the pattern. I think this flows into the cables nicely. I completed several more pattern repeats for the daddy hat, as I found the version in the book to be too short. I cast-on only 72 stitches for the baby hat. I would say it's a 9-12 mos. size.




1 comment:

Rachael said...

Lindsey! I finally logged onto Ravelry after such a long time, and then I found you have a blog and it is here! I am going to read every entry and cherish every picture. Cannot wait to have Lindsey-Woolsey in my life.